6 Health Benefits of MCT Oil Powder (#2 is Life-Saving)
MCT Oil Powder…. surely you must’ve heard about it, but for those who haven’t: ‘MCT’ stands for Medium-chain Triglycerides. It’s a form of saturated fatty acid that has numerous health benefits, ranging from improved cognitive function to better weight management and a healthy gut.
MCTs can be found in coconut oil (roughly 62% of fatty acids in coconut oil are MCTs), but the more concentrated and neutral tasting MCT Oil Powder is rapidly growing in popularity.
MCTs are largely missing from standard Western diets
Years ago, nutritional ‘experts’ were pointing out the dangers that all forms of saturated fats posed for our health and wellbeing. As a result, saturated fats are largely avoided by most people.
However, recent research has shown a lot of evidence about the real truth regarding saturated fats. The study showed that there was very little evidence to support the contention that a diet low in cholesterol and saturated fat actually reduces death from heart disease or in any way increases one’s life span. (Framingham Heart Study)
We now know that saturated fats actually offer a lot of benefits:
- Saturated fatty acids constitute at least 50% of the cell membranes. They are what gives our cells necessary stiffness and integrity.
- They play a vital role in the health of our bones. For calcium to be effectively incorporated into the skeletal structure, at least 50% of the dietary fats should be saturated.
- They lower Lp(a), a substance in the blood that indicates proneness to heart disease.
- They protect the liver from alcohol and other toxins, such as Tylenol.
- They enhance the immune system.
- They are needed for the proper utilization of essential fatty acids. Elongated omega-3 fatty acids are better retained in the tissues when the diet is rich in saturated fats.
- Saturated 18-carbon stearic acid and 16-carbon palmitic acid are the preferred foods for the heart, which is why the fat around the heart muscle is highly saturated. The heart draws on this reserve of fat in times of stress.
- Short- and medium-chain saturated fatty acids have important antimicrobial properties. They protect us against harmful microorganisms in the digestive tract. The scientific evidence, honestly evaluated, does not support the assertion that “artery- clogging” saturated fats cause heart disease. Actually, evaluation of the fat in artery clogs reveals that only about 26% is saturated. The rest is unsaturated, of which more than half is polyunsaturated.
Ideally, MCT oils should be consumed every day. MCTs are actually easier to digest than long-chain triglycerides (LCTs) and might have more benefits to heart health, obesity prevention and brain health, too.
MCT Oil Powder — 6 Benefits for your health
#1 MCT Oil Powder can help with weight loss and maintenance
MCT oil powder is known to have a positive effect on weight loss and the rate your body burns fat at. It can also help increase satiety and raise the metabolic rate at which the body functions. (The Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders, 2001 and 2003)
#2 MCT Oil Powder can help protect a healthy heart
MCTs can help prevent the development of metabolic syndrome, according to a 2010 study published in The Journal of Neutraceuticals and Functional Foods. MCTs can also help decrease cardiovascular disease and mortality risk in general, due to helping lower odds of becoming obese.
#3 MCT Oil Powder boosts your energy levels and mood
As the brain is largely made up of fatty acids, your daily intake of fatty acids needs to be steady in order to think clearly, perform at optimum peak and feel your best. As mentioned before, in our modern Western diet, our MCTs intake is too low. Supplementing this intake with MCT Oil Powder is believed to help improve cognitive functions. (The Journal of Neurobiology of Aging, 2004)
#4 MCT Oil Powder has antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties
MCTs play a big role in supporting a healthy gut. They are in fact powerful, natural antibiotics that help balance bacteria in the gut.
There are at least a dozen pathogenic viruses that can be killed by MCTs, like streptococcus (which causes strep throat, pneumonia and sinus infections), straphylococcus (which causes food poisoning and urinary tract infections), neisseria (which causes meningitis, gonorrhea and pelvic inflammatory diseases), and some other strains that cause stomach viruses, candida, ulcers and sexually transmitted diseases.
#5 MCT Oil Powder helps improve digestion and absorption of nutrients
This touches on what we just discussed: MCTs balances healthy bacteria in the gut, which in turn has positive effects on digestion and the ability to absorb vitamins and minerals from the foods you consume.
#6 MCT Oil Powder is versatile
Whether you use MCT oil or powder, both products are versatile as they have a neutral tast and smell. MCT oil doesn’t oxidize from heat easily and can be used in baked goods, sautes, stir-fries and grilled foods. MCT powder can me blended with all sorts of smoothies and breakfast bowls, and can even be used in dough and a nice warm cup of coffee.